Are Succulents Poisonous To Dogs?

by Succulent MarketNov 10, 2020

are succulents poisonous to dogs


Succulents are great for growing indoors and outdoors. They bring an exotic feel to their surroundings and take little effort to maintain. But we aren’t the only ones that are drawn to them.

Dogs love succulents, but not all of them are safe for man’s best friend to be around. Some species are poisonous and can be toxic if dogs come into contact with them.

Which succulents are poisonous to dogs?

Read on to find out.

Aloe Vera

Aloe Vera has been used throughout the skincare industry for what seems like forever. It has a tonne of skin benefits, which is why many people like planting it in their garden or growing it on a windowsill. 

But while it can be beneficial to us, Aloe Vera has certain properties that are posinous to dogs. When ingested, dogs can suffer from abdominal pain, vomiting, skin irritation and lethargy. It can also cause their urine to turn red, so keep it away from them at all costs.

Snake Plant (Sansevieria trifasciata)

The Snake Plant is another popular succulent. It requires even less attention than most other succulents too, so it’s ideal for the lazy gardener. But while this makes it attractive to humans, it’s not enough to make it safe around dogs. The Snake Plant contains a substance called saponin which is poisonous to dogs causing them to experience vomiting, nausea and diarrhea.


Euphorbias are very unusual in their appearance but are fairly easy to grow and take care of. Their leaves produce latex that can be useful in a range of human-safe products, but is very toxic to dogs and humans. Latex comes in the form of white sap that causes dogs to come out in rashes when they come into contact with it. If ingested, it can cause dogs to vomit and suffer from internal irritation that can be poisonous and deadly.


Kalanchoes are another popular succulent due to their growth speed. They’re common in garden centers and come in a range of colors, from magenta to a deep orange, so it’s no wonder why gardeners find them so appealing.

Kalanchoes are poisonous to dogs though. It contains cardiac glycosides that causes them to experience abdominal pain, lethargy, an increase in salivation, diarrhea, and vomiting. It can even be fatal if they consume a large quantity of Kalanchoe. Symptoms include increased heart rate, an irregular heartbeat and cause the dog to become very weak.

Senecio rowleyanus (String of Pearls, String Of Peas Plant)

Senecio Rowleyanus is popular with succulent lovers due to its stunning features. Its stems are covered by round leaves and it produces a cute, fuzzy flower that smells like cinnamon and vanilla.

This scent is attractive to dogs, but unfortunately, it’s poisonous. Ingesting this succulent can cause your dog excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. Sap from its leaves can also cause skin irritation - this goes for humans too.

Sago Palm (Cycas revoluta)

Sago Palm has been mistaken for a palm tree in more ways than one. It’s actually a succulent and is popular for gardening beginners thanks to its overall toughness.

Sago Palm contains a substance called cycasin that can be toxic to dogs if ingested. Cycasin attacks the liver, causing the dog to become incredibly thirsty and vomit. In severe cases, it can lead to total liver failure. Symptoms can occur just 15 minutes after consumption.

Panda Plant (Philodendron bipennifolium)

The Panda Plant is also known as the Fiddle Leaf succulent. It’s very common in households because it’s very easy to care and requires little maintenance. These traits make it excellent for beginners too.

However, the Panda Plant’s leaves contain insoluble calcium oxalates that cause irritation to a dog’s tissue. If consumed, your dog can experience difficulty in swallowing and mouth irritation that leads to vomiting.

Kalanchoe delagoensis (Mother Of Millions)

The Mother of Millions grows very fast and can survive even the harshest of conditions in the wild. Its seeds can last for years, even if they have been pulled out from the plant.

Be that as it may, Mother of Millions is poisonous to dogs. It contains a substance called bufadienolide cardiac glycoside that, if ingested in large quantities, causes dogs to suffer from diarrhea, vomiting and gastrointestinal irritation. In severe cases, it can lead to abnormal heart rhythm and, eventually, death.